12/20/10

The Traditions of the Past is the Imposed Norm of Today

Many people nowadays, especially parents are programmed with the traditions of the past. Parents who are are instilled with the old ways keep saying to their children; "Study hard so that you can get a good job and a high paying position". They do not realize that this advise is no longer being observed by most students of today. Students today spend most their time in computer shops playing games with their friends. Some students even go to bars
and just have fun.
What parents keep thinking is that once their children get good grades, their chances of getting a high paying job is high. Unfortunately this way of thinking is proven to be a failure and the proof are the thousands of unemployed graduates.
I remember meeting this guy who was at the cashier at Starbucks who was sad of what he was doing. He asked what year I was in Computer Science since he saw my ID lace which had a "Computer Science" printed on it. I said I was in third year. He asked if I was in the top something of my batch, and I said no. Then he mentioned that he was a Computer Science graduate back in 2004 and he was the top in his batch. I asked him, "What are you doing in Starbucks then? Shouldn't you be in a known computer company?" He answered me in a sad tone, "I was rejected in 4 major companies. They said that I wasn't qualified enough to be in their company." I was overwhelmed by what he said. I thought to myself, he graduated with honors and he was rejected just like that? Then what will happen to me and other students? I asked him if he applied a job at Starbucks after being rejected. He answered me with a no. He said that he took a crash course in Hotel and Restaurant Management just to be able to get a job.
With that reality in mind, I began to think why parents keep on insisting on getting a job. I understand that this was how they were programmed when they were young, but they do not realize that most students of today don't want to have a job. Because they know that a job will not last and they will be removed or replaced by someone better.
However with the intense pressure brought upon by parents and the education system, students follow what is they believe the norm which is imposed.
And that norm is:
"Study hard so that you can get a good job and a high paying position"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger